Computational Biologist - Microbiology - Worldwide
We are so excited you are interested in joining our team! Candidates are encouraged to apply even if they do not tick every box. If you are excited to empower science through innovation, we want to hear from you!
Science, at its core, is the noble pursuit of understanding how things happen, why they happen and how we might gain some measure of control over what happens. At Form Bio, we’re on a quest. And our singular role in that quest is to empower our community to fulfill their scientific potential. Our software platform is purpose-built to help push the fast forward button on research, to help scientific collaboration be more collaborative and to dispense with the wholly unscientific struggles of cumbersome, DIY IT work.
We’re not here to disrupt the scientific profession, we’re here to empower it. The potential and pursuit of truth is what empowers us. Put simply, Form was created to be a breakthrough for breakthroughs.
We are seeking a talented Computational Biologist with strong analysis skills to tackle challenging bioinformatics and computational biology problems. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with scientists and engineers to run analysis, test new analysis workflows, and develop new visualization tools to support the exciting opportunities in precision medicine, comparative genomics, structural biology, and AI. The candidate must have some experience in bioinformatics.
Preference will be given to candidate with a PhD and have experience microbial genomics, biochemistry and molecular evolution including protein structure prediction, molecular modeling, pathway analysis and phenotype/genotype associations.
**This position will be based out of Dallas, TX office or remote with 1-2 yearly site visits**
What you'll be doing...
- Run Sequence Analysis
- Run Comparative Genomics Analysis
- Test Nextflow workflows
- Develop new visualization, statistical tools in R/Python
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in the development of model to predict biological results or gene function including variant detection, variant functional prediction, protein function, genotype/phenotype relationship.
- Comparative Genomics Experience
- Ability to write and run custom bioinformatics scripts using existing published tools and occasionally tools developed for purpose, summarize the results in a digestible manner and deliver the information using established reporting procedures.
- Ability to design and maintain databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB) to curate data.
- Demonstrated 2 years of experience with scripting languages, including but not limited to: Python, R, Perl, Ruby, Java, BASH.
- Proficiency with handling large-scale genomic data in a HPC (SGE, SLURM, PBS) Linux and/or cloud environment (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
- Experience with GIT version control software
- Two year of bioinformatics experience in the following areas: (1) Microbial Comparative Genomics; Structural Biology/Molecular Evolution or Applied AI in Bioinformatics
- Experience with Genotype/Phenotype Association Studies
- Use informatics tools in protein structure and functional prediction including alpha-Fold and databases such as stringDB, Eggnog and Kegg
- Use informatics tools in predicting protein function using molecular evolution and network analysis including use of the common bioinformatics tools (HMMer, HHSuite, FastME, PhyML, OrthoMCL, StingDB, DAVID, CytoScape)
Education and Experience:
- Masters with 2 years of experience or PhD in quantitative or basic science (computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, chemistry, physics, or mathematics preferred)
The team at Form Bio is committed, colorful, passionate, intelligent, collaborative, creative, experienced, scientific, and world-class. That sounds like a lot to fit into one building. That is why we are spread out across the US and support a remote first culture.
Through it all, however, we maintain a culture of positivity, hope, happiness, and the belief that we’re doing something formative.
At Form Bio, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Form Bio believes that diversity is paramount to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Originally posted on Himalayas