Outgoing Grants Manager (Fixed term - 8 months) - Worldwide
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
Twenty years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
The Mozilla Foundation is seeking an Outgoing Grants Manager (Leave Cover) to be responsible for the Foundation’s outgoing grant making processes. This is a fixed-term (8 months from late August 2023 to mid-April 2024) and part-time position (30 hours per week). This role will report to the Director of Finance Administration and will be part of the Foundation’s Finance Administration team.
As an Outgoing Grants Manager at Mozilla, you will…
- Coordinate Mozilla Foundation’s outgoing grant making processes and procedures in partnership with program, finance, legal, and other key partners, ensure that Mozilla’s grantmaking processes concur with its policies and goals of the organization. These responsibilities include:
- Review and approve payments to grantees on an ongoing basis in order to ensure the appropriate allocation of expenses and serve as an approver in bill.com for such payments.
- Respond to applicant inquiries, and process and supervise the status of awards and fellowship agreements and payments.
- Supervise the grant pipeline to help resolve any issues and ensure a timely process.
- Ensure that the grantmaking process aligns with IRS regulations and Mozilla policies requirements:
- Coordinate grant agreement processing, report reviews, and amendment requests with Program Officers, external tax counsel, and other partners.
- Conduct initial due diligence review, which includes assembling information from program officers and applicants as needed and assessing supporting documents and proposal narrative for compliance with relevant IRS regulations and Mozilla and external funder policies; identify potential compliance issues with internal and external legal counsel and propose recommended solutions; partner with Grants Operations Coordinator to draft grant agreements and liaise with external tax counsel to review agreements and raise/discuss concerns, ensuring follow-up with program officers and applicants/grantees as needed.
- Partner with Grants Operations Coordinator and Senior Counsel to advise Program Officers on structuring grants and grant programs, compliance, and risk management.
- Partner with Incoming Grants Manager to review and develop subaward budgets that align with outgoing funding procedures.
- Supervise and review grantee reports to ensure compliance with relevant IRS regulations and Mozilla and external funder policies.
- Serve as the grants management system administrator (along with the Grants Operations Coordinator):
- Work with the Fellowship and Awards Program Officers to maintain the integrity of data in Fluxx, ensuring that we have an accurate record of Mozilla’s grantmaking and its impact.
- Maintain contractor relationships that support grants management activities.
- Provide technical support to staff and grantees who are using Fluxx
- Update Fluxx forms and workflows as needed for Mozilla’s grant programs.
Your Professional Profile:
- A minimum of 7 years of grants management experience of which 5 years are related to outgoing grants management; should have a strong understanding of grants processes and related compliance issues, particularly as it relates to grantmaking by 501(c)(3) public charities.
- Knowledge and strong experience with grants management systems and platforms. Experience as a Fluxx system administrator strongly preferred.
- Take the initiative to develop and implement new grants management processes and procedures
- Knowledge and application of standard processes in grant making.
- Outstanding customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to evaluate, improve, lead, and maintain systems and processes,
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, and ability to balance ambitious priorities.
- Ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with diverse partners, internally and externally.
- Dedication to service and support for members of our team; timely response to requests and follow-up as needed.
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary based on the responsibilities and requirements of the role. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The starting salary ranges for this role are listed below. These four countries are where we most commonly employ staff (salary is prorated based on 30 working hours per week (75% FTE)):
- Germany: €42,345 - €47,558 (target salary offer - €43,644)
- UK: £35,089 - £39,409 (target salary offer - £36,166)
- Canada: $73,102 - $82,103 (target salary offer - $75,345)
- US: $54,150 - $60,817 (target salary offer - $55,811)
Some regions fall into a higher salary market and this is reflected in the example ranges below:
- London: £43,861 - 49,262 (target salary offer - £45,207)
- New York: $67,687 - $76,021 (target salary offer - $69,764)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Pregnancy and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Originally posted on Himalayas