Senior Director, Business Operations-Payments - Worldwide
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
As Senior Director of Business Operations, you will be at the center of developing and implementing the long-term vision and direction of the Payments organization. You'll partner closely with Payments senior management to identify opportunities for growth and develop strategies and plans to achieve these goals. This is an exciting opportunity to build and grow an essential business unit within Upwork. Come help us change how the world works.
- Cross-functional alignment and prioritization: partners closely with VP+ stakeholders across BUs to align on priorities, influence roadmaps and deliver against key corporate initiatives and goals, including, but not limited to:
- Ensuring representation and accuracy of cross-functional initiatives in Operating Plans and Quarterly Business reviews.
- Escalating, problem solving and communicating to leadership when there are prioritization misalignments that could delay committed work.
- Tracking and ensuring on-time delivery of all action items from WBR, QBR, OP and related processes.
- Business Unit budgeting and planning: This role will be instrumental in budgeting and planning across the BU, ensuring alignment with BU leadership, tracking costs and ensuring that the team stays within its budget envelope and working with FPA and BU leader to self-fund key initiatives through prioritization and agreement.
- Track all headcount, vendor, and service requests and assist leaders in building business cases and prioritizing to effectively enable the BU to achieve/exceed its goals.
- Strategic thinking: Think creatively and analytically and have the ability to see the big picture. Look beyond individual support and trust verticals to understand how different parts of the organization fit together; this includes the ability to identify trends and opportunities and to develop and implement effective strategies to achieve the organization's overall goals.
- Communication: Support Payments leadership in crafting and refining strategic communications, including ensuring connectivity across Payments Operating Plans and QBRs. This includes creating a communication strategy that can be understood by senior management, employees, hybrid team members, and other stakeholders - ensuring that all levels of the organization are aligned with and working towards the same goals.
- Organizational Efficiency: In this role, you'll ensure that the Payments business unit is able to optimize time, information, and decision processes by ensuring that the right information reaches the right individuals at the right time.
- Continuous Improvement/ Best Practice Implementation: Support Operations across the business unit in efforts to scale, evolve, and use resources optimally. Centralize program management functions for strategic and cross-functional initiatives.
- Analytics: Leverage data and analytics to inform decision-making and measure the impact of strategic initiatives, including ensuring that there is continuity across the QBRs and OPs of the organization's distinct business units. Establish governance for tracking of key organizational metrics and building dashboards and tools that enable regular review and continuous improvements in organizational efficiency.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Solid experience (10+ years) in a fast paced product/technology company preferably in the two-sided marketplace/ payments/fintech space.
- Experience building and executing against new and often innovative strategies that directly connect key initiatives to measurable outcomes.
- Progressive people management, with a proven track record of building high-performing teams.
- Experience with cross-functional relationship building and partnership, and with establishing a customer-centric vision that is widely adopted.
- Exceptional communication skills. Well versed in collaborating with peers, customers, executives, and tailoring your message accordingly. You can take multiple inputs and ideas and distill them into a cohesive and measurable strategic and data-influenced message.
- The spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship: not afraid to take risks, think big, and never settle.
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $218,000 - $310,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you'll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
At the core of our vibrant culture are shared values that form the foundation of our organization. These values revolve around trust, risk-taking, customer focus, and excellence. Our overarching mission is to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster an environment where individuals are encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work, nurturing personal and professional growth through development opportunities, mentorship programs, and participation in Upwork Belonging Communities.
We take pride in providing exceptional benefits to our employees. These include comprehensive medical insurance coverage for both you and your family, unlimited paid time off, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. To explore these benefits in detail, as well as gain insights into our company values, working principles, and the overall employee experience, we invite you to visit our Life at Upwork page.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Originally posted on Himalayas