Senior Manager, UX - USA
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
Turnitin is a pioneer in education technology with its roots in academic integrity, delivering flexible assessment solutions to higher education institutions, high schools, and graduate programs. With the broadest and deepest applications of AI for education, Turnitin is building innovative new products for the next decade of education. We are seeking an experienced design leader to help us increase our velocity to deliver knowledge, products, and capabilities to help educational institutions empower student outcomes with academic integrity. As a UX Design leader, you will be responsible for the end-to-end user experience. You will manage a team of designers to craft elegant design solutions across a range of educational solutions at global scale. You will collaborate closely with product and engineering partners as well as the cross-functional UX team.
To succeed in this role, you must be an innovator in driving operational excellence and a strategic big-picture thinker. You thrive in a highly ambiguous, fast-paced environment., Our environment requires the skills to work collaboratively and the commitment to take ownership with a high-degree of independence.
A day in the life
The Senior UX Design Manager will be working with each team member as well as product and engineering stakeholders on a day-to-day basis. The manager will also spend time on team management tasks, design reviews, and not just lead the vision, but sometimes roll-up their sleeves to contribute to the UX vision. The manager will set the tone for the team, where every work day is full of fun, engagement, and building meaningful connections with each other.
- Grows and leads a talented team of UX designers, visual designers, UX managers, researchers and UX writers.
- Manages the user experience design of multiple mid-to-large-sized programs through leading a design team.
- Sets vision for the organization and influence product strategic roadmap. Leads the discovery, strategize concept design and launch phases of a project.
- Champions for user-centered design culture. Drives creative process and collaboration with cross-functional partners to propose new ideas and strategies.
- Models behavior that exemplifies Turnitin values on their team. Raises the design bar for the organization.
- Provides coaching and feedback, with an emphasis on growing senior ICs and leadership capability.
- Creates and drives adoption of design guidelines, mechanisms, best practices, process and tools.
- Change Leadership -The ability to initiate, sponsor, and implement organizational or process change; helping others to successfully manage organizational or process change.
- Goal Setting & Vision Execution - Is able to set a clear vision for their direct reports that ties into the company strategy, and turn that vision into meaningful, measurable and actionable goals to be executed on.
- Strategic Thinking - Thinks long term and beyond one’s own area and/or region; utilizes data, business acumen and intuition to understand and consider the impact of decisions and goals for the future. Assesses the impact of the external environment on the organization (and visa versa) when making decisions. Reflects industry trends and best practices.
- Accountability - Holds oneself responsible for required actions, and ensures that team members/colleagues/peers also own responsibility for their designated tasks while meeting collective team and company goals. All in service of creating a high performing environment.
- Collaboration & Influencing - Effectively communicates and cooperates with peers, partners, leaders & customers to achieve outcomes. Builds relationships and creates an environment wherein people can naturally work together for the good of the company and our customers.
- Diversity & Inclusivity - Encourages and celebrates diversity at every level within the organization. Understanding that many cultures, traditions, beliefs, languages, thoughts and lifestyles are prevalent in both the workforce as well as the customer populations, and are respected without judgment. Works to create an environment of belonging.
- Curiosity - Has a growth mindset and leads with questions vs. assumptions. Unleashes creativity and possibility by actively seeking new experiences, information, and knowledge; embraces challenge, takes risks, learns fast and welcomes change.
- Resourcefulness - Possesses a mindset of abundance and redefines what’s possible; creates and advances ways of achieving results in new or difficult situations either by appropriating additional resources, or by doing more with less.
- Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI) or equivalent professional experience.
- 8+ years of industry experience in UX design or related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience managing at least 5 UX designers.
- Experience in hiring and leading design teams that deliver end-to-end experiences with large scope and complexity.
- A strong portfolio of the candidate’s personal design work and design team deliverables under this candidates’ leadership, demonstrating user-centered, multi-platform and scalable design solutions.
- Experience planning and executing effective customer research, solo, or in partnership with a UX Researcher.
- Experience in driving viable UX frameworks and product architectures in highly ambiguous environments.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver large- scale strategic design initiatives with a bias toward scalable systems and patterns.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Tracking record of successfully building, growing and retaining senior design talents, promoting strong creative team culture.
is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Remote First Culture
- Health Care Coverage*
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- 4 Self-Care Days per year
- National Holidays*
- 2 Founder Days + Juneteenth Observed
- Paid Volunteer Time*
- Charitable contribution match*
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursement/Home Office Equipment*
- Access to Modern Health (mental health platform)
- Parental Leave*
- Retirement Plan with match/contribution*
* varies by country
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to it programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or veterans status.