Senior Product Designer - Worldwide
25 days ago
About usCopia Automation brings modern developer tools to industrial automation. Our product provides Git-based source control for automation professionals. We are a well-funded startup and with a growing list of happy customers from throughout the industrial space. As a Copia employee, you’ll solve challenging, unique, and meaningful problems alongside passionate coworkers, while we change the way everything gets built.
Why industrial automation?Today, manufacturing is powered by an ecosystem of computerized systems and robotics known as industrial automation. Special-purpose industrial computers called PLCs are used to automate factories, warehouses, and even amusement parks. This ecosystem is programmed with a unique graphical language that doesn’t work with typical developer tools such as GitLab or GitHub. Instead, automation professionals have to use physical storage devices, incompatible tools, and incomplete solutions. When minutes of downtime can represent tens of thousands of dollars, better development tools are urgently needed.
Engineering at CopiaThe Copia engineering team solves problems through collaboration, experimentation, and ownership. We pair on tough issues and look for ways to test our assumptions. You’ll join a team that encourages ownership and values pragmatic solutions: weighing short-term needs and long-term goals. Finally, we’re optimistic. We celebrate successes, support each other through unexpected challenges, and approach problems with a positive attitude.
About the RoleAs Senior Product Designer at Copia, you’ll lead the design of our core products: developer tools based around the hardware and visual programming languages used for industrial automation. Our platform consists of a web app and two desktop apps. Automation professionals use Copia to view code, track changes, make comments, and merge dozens of different visual programming languages. They’re also managing backups of thousands of physical devices. We commit to providing them the right tools to make their workdays easier and more productive. Copia sits at the intersection of industrial automation hardware and the web, and the design challenges we face are interesting and unique. You will help answer questions like, how do we…Make Git-based version control easy-to-use for industrial controls engineers?Present dense, highly technical data in a streamlined and usable way, at the precise times users need it?Make our tools easy for time-constrained users in a factory to learn and start usingBuild interfaces that allow large customers to manage thousands of devices and projectsBuild user flows that serve multiple user types (developers, technicians, and managers) simultaneously?
What you'll do
- Collaborate with various members from product and engineering to design and build a version control and device management experience that strikes a balance between clean design and technical usability
- Work with Copia's Head of Product to establish a design practice that integrates design into our iterative product process
- Advocate for design principles, while navigating the unique UI challenges inherent in complex developer tools
- Design and/or participating in user research
- Establish brand design systems and guidelines
What you have
- You have 6+ years experience designing for desktop in a cross-functional product team
- You are well versed in information architecture and information hierarchy principles - you may have designed interfaces for high density information in the past
- You bring a user-centered approach to your work, crafting experiences for user needs and paths through a site or app
- You are comfortable talking to users, and are a strong advocate for their needs and how UX should serve them
- You have a point of view about the role of design in the product development process
- You have experience with HTML and CSS
- You are skilled at tailoring communication to your audience
Nice to haves
- Led or participated in design sprints
- Experience building developer tools
- An interest in manufacturing and hardware innovation
- An interest in industrial automation and Programmable Logic Controllers
- Experience with data visualization
LocationOur headquarters is in New York and our team is remote throughout North America. Relocation assistance to New York City will be provided for those that are interested in working out of Copia HQ.
Our Commitment to InclusionAt Copia, we believe that diverse thinking leads to innovative solutions and allows us to develop the best products. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know.
Originally posted on Himalayas