Senior Software Engineer - Worldwide
This is a fast-paced engineering role in Linux-based software-defined infrastructure and applications, covering all layers of the stack, including bare metal, virtualization (KVM) and containerization (Docker/LXC/LXD), storage (Ceph and Linux filesystems), networking (OVS, OVN and Core networking), up to OpenStack and Kubernetes, and the open source applications running on top of them. It will challenge you to show the breadth of engineering skill needed to work on almost any aspect of Ubuntu and the open source things people run with it.
This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and open source to build a career with Canonical and drive success for our customers, community and the company. If you have an affinity for open source development, great communication skills, and a passion for troubleshooting and fixing issues in technology used by millions across the world, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
Location: This is a remote role, we have teams in all time zones.
This role deals with critical issues in the open source stack that require software engineering for upstream fixes. Our engineers have to be able to work productively at any level of the stack above the kernel, in a wide range of languages, to understand and address the software issues at hand. Our group is critical to the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu itself.
You will help with troubleshooting and driving issues to resolution with workarounds, guidance, and fixes to be released upstream and in Ubuntu.
What your day will look like
- Resolve complex customer problems related to Ubuntu, Kernel, Ceph, OpenStack, or Kubernetes and other open source software
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical's field, support and product engineering teams
- Participate in upstream communities
- Develop fixes, backport patches, and work with upstream for inclusion
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Demonstrate good judgment in technical methods and techniques
- Prioritize work and manage your time effectively against those priorities
- Participate in team discussions to improve processes, tools, and documentation
- Maintain clear, technical and concise communications
- Work from home and travel internationally up to 10% of work time for team meetings, events and conferences
What we are looking for in you
- Professional experience as a software engineer
- Background in Computer Science, STEM or similar
- Strong experience with Linux, Ceph, OpenStack, Kubernetes or other cloud technologies
- Strong development-level experience with Python, Go, C or C++ on Linux
- Ability to troubleshoot with gdb and other tools
- Familiarity with git source code repositories and branches
- An exceptional academic track record
- Willingness to travel up to 4 times a year for internal events
Additional skills that you might also bring
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have interest in, and experience with most of the following: Ubuntu Linux - kernel or userspace, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, Go, C, Postgresql, Mongo, Debian packaging, distributed systems
What we offer you
We consider geographical location, experience, and performance in shaping compensation worldwide. We revisit compensation annually (and more often for graduates and associates) to ensure we recognize outstanding performance. In addition to base pay, we offer a performance-driven annual bonus. We provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. We balance our programs to meet local needs and ensure fairness globally.
- Distributed work environment with twice-yearly team sprints in person - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of USD 2,000 per year
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues from your team and others
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Originally posted on Himalayas