Senior Software Engineer, Cluster Scalability - Worldwide
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $136 billion by 2027!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
This role can be based out of our New York City office or remotely in the North America region.
Overview of Team
The MongoDB Cluster Scalability Team’s responsibility includes building features and interfaces for cluster operators to thrive managing datasets and workloads of all sizes. To that end, our goal is to enable users of MongoDB to scale their workload seamlessly from 100 to 100 billion operations a day. This ultimately enables the MongoDB goal of making users productive with data at any scale. Additionally, the team also advises other MongoDB developers to use MongoDB Server in a scalable way and advocates for improvements when bottlenecks are identified.
Synopsis of current/upcoming projects
Recent work includes embedding cluster topology components to reduce the operational complexity of running a sharded cluster, ability to use shard key analyzer to pick a good shard key, and performance improvements to moving data across shards.
Successful candidates will have majority of the following qualities
- Experience in building industrial-strength software projects with robust designs, a high level of code quality, and collaborative software development processes
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience, with strong proficiency in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture. Professional or advanced academic expertise in the areas of distributed systems and databases is preferable, but not strongly required
- Interest in the theory and practice of database internals
- At least 3 years of experience in programming, debugging, and performance tuning distributed and/or highly concurrent software systems
- Collaborate with other Server team engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large C++-based codebase
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new server features
- Keep abreast of new database technologies and research, and work to incorporate them into the server
- Contribute to a world-renowned open source database software project
- Espouse and promote the MongoDB values through mentorship, building together, intellectual honesty, and accountability
- In three months, you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major release, and diagnosed and fixed a few customer or testing-reported issues
- In six months, you’ll be responsible for reviewing code, interviewing potential new hires, and reviewing new feature designs
- In twelve months, you’re owning the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Originally posted on Himalayas