Tax Director - USA
We are building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there is an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
- Develop, engage, and manage a team of tax professionals.
- Review tax returns, schedule M adjustment calculations, and other deliverables and ensure timeliness, completeness, and accuracy.
- Review contracts and policies; identify, recommend, and negotiate optimal tax terms.
- Perform tax due diligence on domestic and foreign acquisition targets, review acquisition agreements, and develop processes and procedures to integrate acquired companies.
- Own the quarterly income tax provision process ensuring calculations are complete and accurate.
- Act as control owner, executing and maintaining tax-related SOX controls.
- Identify, implement, and execute value-added opportunities including R&D credits, government incentives, and process improvements.
- Develop and implement clear and consistent transfer pricing methods across the company.
- Ensure timely compliance with transfer pricing requirements included master files, local files, and country-by-country reporting.
- Manage income tax audits providing clear and timely responses to government auditors.
- Assist with other tax areas including payroll tax matters, ex-patriot taxation, permanent establishment analyses, and information reporting, as needed.
- Other responsibilities and projects, as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and a CPA (advanced degree a plus)
- Minimum 10-years of combined experience at a public accounting firm and in industry.
- High level of expertise calculating income tax balances and reviewing income tax provisions pursuant to ASC 740.
- Experience managing teams of tax professionals.
- Proficiency reviewing legal contracts and editing tax-related terms and conditions.
- Familiarity with tax M&A concepts and processes including due diligence and integration of domestic and foreign targets;
- Experience in some of the below areas:
- Managing foreign income tax matters across multiple countries;
- Managing federal, state, or foreign income tax audits;
- Determining arms-length transfer prices; and
- Drafting tax transfer pricing documentation.
- The ideal candidate has the following traits:
- Seeks to add-value, improve processes, and to develop and encourage team members;
- Strong sense of ownership and responsibility;
- High integrity and ethical standards;
- Ability to communicate effectively with and develop strong working relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including tax authorities, accounting firms, and senior leadership;
- Ability to consistently execute responsibilities in a high-quality manner despite obstacles and change; and
- Excellent organization, prioritization, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Position is open to U.S. remote candidates.
Pay Range Details
The base pay range(s) below are provided in compliance with state specific laws. Pay ranges may be different in other locations.
Colorado $140,300 - $231,500 [annually]
Washington $140,300 - $255,900 [annually]
California $140,300- $280,300 [annually]
NYC $155,100 - $280,300 [annually]
The pay range above is the general base pay range for a successful candidate in the state listed. The successful candidate's actual salary/wage may be based on various factors, such as geographic location, candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
This role is eligible for an annual bonus based on individual and company performance, depending on the terms of the applicable plan and the employee's role.
Avalara's benefits for eligible employees includes company benefits such as medical, dental, and vision coverage, life, AD&D, and disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan, 17 days of paid time off annually, 12 paid holidays, paid parental leave, an employee assistance program, and subsidized transportation options for commuters.
All benefits are subject to eligibility requirements and Avalara reserves the right to modify or change these benefits programs at any time, with or without notice, unless otherwise required by law.
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation. The logic behind calculating taxes - the rules, rates, and boundaries is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world - from corner stores to gigantic global retailers - to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone. That's why we're growing fast. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world, in Brazil, Canada, India, U.K, Belgium and across Europe.